Sunday, August 1, 2010

Crock Pot Chicken

Making a whole chicken in a crock pot is simple, tasty and cheap.   I like to prepare my chicken in the evening and put the crock with the lid on in the fridge overnight.  Sitting over night allows all  the flavors to deepen and makes it super easy to just turn it on in the morning insuring that I have dinner when I get home from work.

One whole chicken in a crock pot can make several wonderful dishes.  I usually serve the breast meat for dinner the day I cook it with some steamed veggies and mashed potatoes.  Left over chicken gets turned into chicken salad, cubed chicken gets tossed on a green salad, shredded chicken for tacos & quesadilla's,or used as a base for a hearty chicken soup.

Whole chicken prep:  Wash and pat dry your whole chicken.  Stuff with a lemon or a chopped up onion.  Rub down with spices.
Max's Chicken Rub:  1 tablespoon coarse sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon onion granules, 1 teaspoon garlic granules, 1 tablespoon hot paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper,  1 tablespoon ground Ancho Chile's and 1 teaspoon celery seed.

Coat the chicken in the spice mixture inside and out and place in a greased slow cooker crock.  Place crock in fridge over night.   In the morning  place crock in cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.   The chicken will be juicy and falling off the bone.

1 comment:

  1. No liquid needed? I always feel like liquid needs to cover whatever I'm putting in a crock pot.

    ReplyDelete