Sunday, September 19, 2010

Stuffed Peppers


Ingredients: 1 lb of sausage ( you can use turkey or soy if you want, I went with spicy Italian), 1.5 cups of cooked riced ( I cook mine is veggie stock for more flavor - feel free to use precooked or instant), 8 ounces of cubed Mozzerela, 4 large or 6 small bell peppers, 32 oz can of crushed tomatoes, grated Parmesan cheese & red pepper flakes.



Brown the sausage until almost cooked through.  It's OK to leave a little pink since the dish is going in the oven for about an hour.



Cut the tops off the bell peppers and arrange in a deep baking dish with a cover.  Scrape out any extra seeds.



Mix the crumbled sausage with the rice and Mozzarella.  I use my hands so that I can break up any big pieces of sausage.


Pack the bell peppers full of the rice & sausage mix. 

 
Pour the crushed tomatoes over the top and around the sides.

Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and crushed red peppers on top.

Cook covered in the oven for about an hour at 350.  Remove the cover and cook an additional 10-15 minutes.  Serve warm.

I served my stuffed peppers with steamed baby broccoli and some toasty fresh baguette.   Don't forget to pour some of the sauce over the top of the peppers.

.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment