Saturday, June 19, 2010

Baking Powder Biscuits


I woke up this morning craving something to spoon the fantastic jam I brought home with me from my vacation.

If you are ever in Humboldt County I suggest you pick up several jars of Zimmerman's Jam. My favorite by far is their Apricot Jam.

I ended up making some easy baking soda biscuits. Most recipes make about a dozen or more. This one makes about 6 small biscuits. I used a juice glass to cut them out.

Recipe:

Preheat Oven to 450 degree

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons of butter
3 ounces of milk


In the bowl of a food processor pulse together the dry ingredients or sift into a mixing bowl.

If using the processor cube up 4 tablespoons of butter and pulse to get a wet sand appearance. Or cut in by hand using a pastry cutter.

Once butter is mixed in add about 3 ounces of milk. You can use whole, low fat or buttermilk. If your feeling really decadent go for some cream. Mix the milk in gently, careful not to overwork. The dough should be nice and sticky.

Place the dough on a generously floured work surface. Shape it into a rectangle and roll out to about 1/2 an inch thick. Fold it in half. Fold it in half again. Roll back out to about 3/4 if an inch thick and cut out 6 biscuits. The folding is what makes them nice and flaky.

Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for a 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees. If you want that nice glazed look you can brush the tops with a little butter and milk.

I ended up enjoying mine by having a wee little tea party. 1 biscuit was topped with jam and the other with butter and honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment